Thursday, September 15, 2011

Family & Traditions

So often I find myself thinking about the women in my family, my ancestors, and wondered what they were like. I know they were wives and mothers, keepers of their homes, they worked hard, and they passed honored traditions and skills down to their daughters and granddaughters. But as I get older, I think of these women more often and my connection to them, though we've never met, grows stronger and stronger.
I have in me, a strong sense of family, and I suppose that in a lot of ways I'm old-fashioned by today's standards. I never really wanted to go to college or have a career, mostly because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at the time and going just to say, "I'm going to college", seems rather silly and a waste of time and money.
What I am is really all I ever wanted to be, a wife and mother. To make a home for my family and be the best at both to my abilities. But not having a job outside the home doesn't mean I don't work and sometimes I think stay-at-home moms are looked at with a crossed eye. I'm many things! A cook, a counselor, a nurse, a taxi driver, a teacher, an artist, a housekeeper, an accountant, and so much more. I know there have been times when I may not do these things as well as I should, and yes, there have been times when I've felt unappreciated and have been taken advantage of, but the love of my family and their praise overshadows anything else.
I hope in some way, that I've made my grandmothers proud, and continue passing their traditions and sense of home and family on to my children, and they to their's. 
Yes, I'm drawn to the old ways, and stand tall with the women who have gone before me.
I'm a wife, a mother, a grandmother, and a homemaker.
There is a quote by Earl Hamner, Jr. (creator of the TV show, The Waltons) that I have always loved and want to share with you. The words speak so much to me....... 

"I have walked the land in the footsteps of all my fathers.
Back in time to where the first one trod.
And stopped, saw sky, felt wind, bent to touch Mother Earth and called this home.
This mountain, this pine and hemlock, oak and poplar, laurel wild and rhododendron.
Home and mountain.
Father, mother, grow to the sons and daughters to walk the old paths.
To look back in pride in honoured heritage.
To hear its laughter and its song.
To grow to stand and be themselves one day remembered.
I have walked the land in the footsteps of all my fathers.
I saw yesterday and now look to tomorrow."




Thank you for letting me share my thoughts with you, as I think in your hearts you feel the same way about being wives and mothers. It is truly a proud thing to be! 


 This post is part of the "On My Mind" feature over at Down To Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment