Friday, July 29, 2011

My First Quilting Project

Quilting is something I've always been interested in, but it wasn't until recently that I decided to get started on my first project. I spent a lot of time looking at quilts online trying to choose something simple and the one pattern that kept grabbing my attention was, the Ohio Star. I loved the different color variations and layouts people used to make such beautiful quilts and I have to tell you, I was hooked! So, I printed out a tutorial I found online, picked up some fabric and a few other supplies and jumped in! It took me a while to put this together, probably longer than it should have, but it's my first and I have to say I'm rather proud of it. This particular pattern I'm using makes a 12" block so I definitely have some work ahead of me before the top itself is finished.
Another reason why I wanted to start quilting, is because of the sentimental value they hold, being passed down from one generation to the next. I remember hearing about quilting parties when ladies would get together to make a quilt for a daughter or granddaughter as a wedding gift, and that each piece of material used had a particular story to it, making it all the more special. I'm a pretty old-fashioned soul at heart, so for me to give something special to my children means a lot to me, and I truly think my great-grandmothers would be very proud of me being part of such a wonderful tradition. At any rate, I will definitely add more posts in the coming weeks as I get more of this quilt done.
I would love to hear any quilting stories that you would like to share, whether it's about one that you've made or maybe one that was handed down from a special aunt or grandmother. There's always a special story with each quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment