Friday, August 19, 2011

Bread & Butter Pickles

One of my husband's favorite things is bread and butter pickles and I have to admit, this has to be the best recipe. I made just a small batch of these, as I always do with new recipes, and I will definitely be making these again and again. The pickles stay crunchy, the flavor is amazing and even if you don't care for onions, I think you will after this because they end up being mild and sweet so give this a try!

Bread & Butter Pickles

5 medium cucumbers cut into 5 mm slices
350g onions, sliced very thinly
green capsicum and red chili are optional
50g salt
350 ml cider or white wine vinegar
350g sugar 
2 level tablespoons mustard seed
2 level tablespoons celery seed
½ level teaspoon turmeric
¼ level teaspoon cayenne pepper


Slice the cucumbers, onions, capsicums and chili and place in a bowl, and salt and let stand for 3 hours. Drain, rinse under the cold tap and drain thoroughly. Bring the remaining ingredients to the boil in a stainless steel saucepan and then add the vegetables. Reduce the heat, bring just to the simmer and cook 2 minutes. Pour hot into sterilized jars, making sure the liquid covers the cucumbers and seal.
Recipe courtesy of Rhonda Hetzel  from her blog, Down To Earth 

Here's my first batch of bread and butter pickles! It was so hard to NOT want to eat all of them after the first taste test, but the jars did make it into the refrigerator and I did promise my husband I'd be making more.
I had never made pickles before this, but this was so easy and so my next project will be a batch of spicy, dill pickles and I'm really looking forward to that.
Thanks, Rhonda for sharing such a great recipe. These are just yummy! 


  This post is part of the "On My Mind" feature over at Down To Earth

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I have been intending to try Rhonda's b&b pickles for some time - you've just convinced me to give them a go!

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joolz.
    These are so, so simple to make. You'll have to let me know what you think, and don't forget Rhonda! :)

    ReplyDelete